Blog #3 Digital Citizenship

Digital Citizenship is an interesting concept when it is considered from a teaching perspective.  In some of my research on this I found a video on the ISTE website by LeeAnn Lindsey that highlights the three most difficult challenges when it comes to technology. The first was that mistakes made online have greater impact.  Essentially once something is online it is harder to take back.  Another challenge is technology is changing faster than we can figure it out, and the last is that adults are not on the same page when it comes to the proper use of technology and having good digital citizenship.

The last one really stuck out to me because I see it in day to day life.  Growing up my aunt and uncle lived across the street from my house.  My parents were always accepting of technology and taught my siblings and I how to use it, we always had access to a computer and printer at home and because of that homework was never an issue.  This is not true for my aunt and uncle.  They fought technology and now their kids are suffering because of it.  My cousins were constantly at my house using the computer, doing homework, and printing documents.  My aunt and uncle to this day don't own a printer, or have wifi in their home.  To top it off my uncle is a teacher at a local high school.  It amazes me how ignorant they are with technology, but they just have different views.  Getting on the same page, and coming to an agreement with people who don't seem to think technology is important, or that even think it is bad is an obstacle that needs to be overcome.  Once this happens I think great strides will be made in digital citizenship.  Students are growing up with technology in their lives and they need to be taught how to use it responsibly. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UDL: Action & Expression (Formative)

Equity and UDL

Blog #6 Blended/Hybrid Learning